Here is a quick recipe, a perfect sweet for festival occasions, as it is egg-less!
…as a side note, I often will half the recipe, and it still makes plenty of cookies 🙂
3/4 pound unsalted vegan butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
– Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
– Very important:
Mix the softened vegan butter and sugar in a large bowl (preferably an electric mixer, if available), [rml_read_more]
JUST until combined [do not over-mix!!]
– Now add the vanilla extract
– In a separate bowl, sift together the flour and salt
– Gradually (about one cup at a time), add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture. Again, very important not to over-mix.
– Roll the dough onto a floured surface and form a thick disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour
– After the dough is cooled and firm, roll it out to about 1/2 inch thickness, then cut into rectangles
– Place on cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes, until the edges JUST begin to brown. You need to watch them very carefully as they will burn very easily.
– Serve warm, or also delicious cooled to room temperature with a nice cup of hot chai 🙂
As a variation, you can melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and, after baking, drizzle the top of each cookie with melted chocolate. Delicious!