If you follow this recipe to the letter, I guarantee fantastic results!
– 1 lb vegan chik’n, diced into 2″ cubes
-1tsp vegan unsalted butter
– 1/4 yellow onion, chopped fine
– 2″ fresh ginger, grated
– 4 cloves of garlic, grated
– 2 bay leaves
– 1/4t fenugreek seeds, dry roasted and ground
– 1t cumin, dry roasted and ground
-1T lemon juice
– 1t red chili powder, use mild powder for this one
– 1t fresh ground black pepper
– 2 tomatoes, pureed without skin
– 1cup vegan cream
– 1/4cup vegan yoghurt, lightly beaten
– 1cup cashew, unsalted but roasted
NOTE: The photo below is not accurate. I did not use the turmeric shown. I also skipped showing fenugreek seeds and cashew.
Saute the onion till they are translucent (not golden, as is typically done for Indian cooking) in a tablespoon of butter. Add bay leaves, fenugreek seeds, cumin, red chili powder and black pepper. Wait for a minute while stirring on low flame. Add the ginger, garlic, lemon juice, pureed tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes on medium. Once the sauce starts to thicken, add the yoghurt, cream and cashews to the mixture and turn the heat off. Meanwhile, saute the chik’n pieces in 1.5 tablespoon of vegan butter till the sides are still a bit pink. Try and finish the chik’n pieces in 5-8 minutes so that the mixture is still warm when you add this to it. Slowly add the chik’n a few pieces at a time and turn the heat on low. Leave the heat on low for about 20 minutes and you are done. FInish with the last 1/2 tablespoon of vegan butter and serve hot.